[scribus] file size limit and OS choice

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Sat Aug 8 23:39:34 UTC 2020

On 07/08/2020 18:03, guerrier wrote:

>> Usually the limit will come from your computer available memory. On Windows, the 32bit
>> version of Scribus will usually also have a 2Gb memory usage limitation which comes from
>> the system. If you are using that version and have a 64bit system, I would strongly advise
>> you to switch to the 64bit version of Scribus which can make a much better usage of
>> available memory on those systems.

Thanks !  That's useful to know. I've always 64 bit on windows 'because
I can'; now I've got a good reason !

> I am using Build ID: C-*-T-*-C1.8.6-Windows-64bit on an older machine.
> I have some hardware limitations, lowish ram and old GPU.
>
> I am glad Scribus performed, though. I will try 1.5.6.

I've been using Scribus since version 1.3.3.3 under windows and it's
been very useful in meeting some of my 'more outlandish than microsoft'
needs.

Immense thanks for that !

Mostly I've used it on i5 and i7 CPUs on laptops, and despite warnings
about not using Scribus for big documents, I've never had to split one,
and I've been good up to 50 or 60 pages. The user interface has seemed a
bit jerky sometimes though even on the i7s; a bit prone to 'freeze and
continue' for little apparent reason. I don't know if that might be down
to Qt under windows, or just err... windows ?

Recently though I've been doing some jobs under Ubuntu 20.20 LTS, and I
have to say, Scribus is WAY smoother and more responsive; so much so
that I copy the jobs over to that to do them now. The Ubuntu box does
have a four core Xeon CPU which might account for some of the
difference, but it's not just jerking more quickly; it doesn't seem to
jerk at all.

Anyway, well done Scribus, well done Linux, and thanks for the windows
version too; you can't always have your first choice of OS !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Reg. Office: Unit 1A Manners Court, Manners Avenue, Ilkeston. DE7 8EF