[scribus] Variable OpenType font support? Bahnschrift.

Bert Driehuis driehuis at playbeing.org
Wed Apr 29 21:46:22 UTC 2020

Dear Jonathan,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 10:58 PM Jonathan Kreider <
jonathan.kreider at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently discovered the Bahnschrift font on my Windows 10 computer.
> However, it's not really usable in Scribus b/c Scribus doesn't seem to
> support it's use as of 1.5.5.
>
> Can anyone confirm or deny or suggest a workaround?

I'm ashamed to admit I have not even played with Variable fonts in Scribus
myself, despite being a card-carrying fontie...

That said, I can imagine Scribus having issues with variable fonts.
OpenType support is still pretty fresh in Scribus. Also, Variable Fonts are
a failrly recent addition to OpenType, and the world at large is still
coming to grips with them... There are still debates raging about how to
support Variable Fonts all across the Internet.  So, no authoritative
answer, but a datapoint.

If it's just the font you like, it's a German font design called DIN 1451,
that was revived by Microsoft as Bahnschrift. There are many free and
commercial fonts that are also derived from DIN 1451. Depending on the use
you intend to make of it, you may be able to use one of the many
alternatives, for example http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/osp-din .

I love DIN 1451.

With kind regards,

Bert