[scribus] Security on exported PDF

Bert Driehuis bertd.fpevohf.arg at taw.playbeing.com
Mon Jan 28 11:16:18 UTC 2019

Dear Jason,

It is impossible to perfectly protect a PDF against piracy. Even
Adobe's DRM offering is no match for a determined pirate, and that DRM
implementation is very user unfriendly to the reader.

If you can control the distribution, your best bet is to watermark the
file with the user's name, do not set the user password, and set the
owner password to a random string that you discard. That will protect
the file against tampering with most off the shelf software, without
limiting the usability of the file. If you stamp the purchaser's name
in the left margin they are likely not too annoyed.

I'm using Scribus to generate my PDF's and upload them to my server.
The server then watermarks them using a combo of libreoffice and
pdftk. I can give you an example script to get you started.

With kind regards,
Bert