[scribus] Security on exported PDF

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Mon Jan 28 08:58:32 UTC 2019

On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 18:42:57 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> I have a book that I'm about to lay out, preferably with Scribus, and
> it will be published in PDF format. (The first time I've ever done
> that.) Sales will be over the internet, so I'm trying to figure out
> how I can stop piracy.

according to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piracy_in_the_21st_century

you should not put your book in stores sailing

- the Caribbeans
- the Falcon Lake
- the Gulf of Guinea
- the Indian Ocean
- the Strait of Malacca

ciao
a.l.e

p.s.: you cannot stop piracy. of course.
putting a password on the pdf will probably help, since your sales will
drop to zero (or very close to it).
hidden watermarks might help to both actually sell the pdf and reduce
its "illegal" spreading. But: you're not in a (financial) position to
enforce the rules... so: why bother?
politely asking the readers to be fair with you, is probably the best
solution.
anyway, you want to make money with the book, hire somebody who can
help you sort this issue for you.
and make sure that the technical solution does not cost you more than
what you potentially will earn...