[scribus] PLacing images, and making transaprent

Owen owen.cook at gmx.com
Wed Sep 19 06:17:54 UTC 2018

> I must be honest, a part from resizing an image, I do no tuse GIMP too much.
>
> Might you have a simple explanation to allow me to make the white part
> of the image transparent?

Here you go. Using Color to Alpha (there is also select by color technique)

1.   Open gimp and make a b/w image like shown at http://rcook.pcug.org.au/scribus/color-to-alpha-0.png

2.   Make sure the image has an alpha channel. (Layer->Transparency_add alpha channel)

3.   Right click on the black part and Color->Color to alpha, like shown at http://rcook.pcug.org.au/scribus/color-to-alpha-1.png

4.   The menu position for this may be different depending on your gimp version

5.   In the Color to Alpha dialog box, select black as the color, the black will disappear, see http://rcook.pcug.org.au/scribus/color-to-alpha-2.png

So you will probably have a few other "How To" issues, but hey, that's half the fun.

There are a few "Beginner" tutorials here, https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/  Worth looking into.

And once you master that, there are a few other gotchas.

Owen