[scribus] PLacing images, and making transaprent

Václav Šmilauer eu at doxos.eu
Tue Sep 18 13:20:50 UTC 2018

> I have a second image that I want to place partially on top of the
> banner, and it has a lot of white on it.
>
> Is there a way to make the white part of the image 100% transparent.
You can use blending modes for that. Set the blending mode of the second
image to "darken" (instead of "normal") and the result will be the
darker of the image and whatever is behind it (the banner), it is in
Properties/Transparency/Blend mode of the second image. That will make
the white parts (where it is brighter than the background) effectively
transparent.

 From my experience, though, beware that many (professional) printers
will fail to do the blending properly, probably having
old/non-conformant RIP, so always double-check the pre-print first.

HTH, Vaclav