[scribus] Bounding box dialog not found

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Sep 6 12:52:10 UTC 2018

On 09/06/2018 02:40 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> Am 05.09.2018 um 19:22 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
>>

>> On 09/05/2018 10:47 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am currently on a computer with Scribus 1.4.6 and set a picture to
>>> Bounding Box. But where is the dialog to define the distances?
>>>
>>> Somehow I remember it was directly below the switches (with F2,
>>> Shapes "Form" in the German version). Am I wrong?
>>>

>> Hi Rolf,
>>
>> If I understand you correctly, what you want to do is set Text Flows
>> Around Frame to an area larger than the image frame. If that is the
>> case, you should set Text Flows to Use Contour Line. Next, click the
>> Edit button at the top of the Shape tab, and in the Edit Shapes
>> dialog, check the box to edit the contour line rather than the frame.
>>
>> You can't edit the Bounding Box, at least directly. The Bounding Box
>> encompasses the frame and all of its control points. For a rectangle,
>> all the control points will be on the frame.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Thank you Greg, I must have remembered completely wrong. I could have
> sworn there was something to adjust.
>
> Yesterday I ended up in a method I used before: Just set an empty text
> box over the picture which forces the text a bit farther away from the
> picture. This is my usual workaround, but a bit cumbersome when you
> want to change the geometry of the picture.
>
> By the way, wouldn't such a function be practical? Why wasn't it
> implemented? Just an idea...

I think if you practice with it a bit, you'll find that using and
editing the Contour Line can be very quick. There are buttons for
increasing the Contour Line by a percentage or absolute measurement. If
you subsequently resize your frame, you can go back to Edit Shape and
there is a button to Reset the Contour Line, and adjust again.

Greg