[scribus] ODT into Scribus

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Thu Nov 8 15:18:29 UTC 2018

Am 08.11.2018 um 16:04 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 11/8/18 9:42 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>>
>>> Can Scribus import odts maintaining this formatting and layout in editable form? If not, could this be a request?
>>
>> Just had a look into an odt document. Its text/layout part consists mainly of an .xml file. This contains simple text elements like paragraph styles, linefeed commands + text which would have to be interpreted serially. Then there are some elements like svg commands for lines etc. and commands for boxes.
>>
>> All in all, I would say "everything is there" to rebuild the page from such an xml (there is also a meta.xml file that contains basic page and paragraph definitions for the whole document).
>>
>> You would have to code an interpreter which is able to re-build the page after those definitions. No voodoo, but I guess even with help from the LibreOffice guys, that's a long way mate ;)
>>
>> As a workaround, if the pages you get out of the OCR software are ok, maybe just let LibreOffice make a PDF from it and include that into your Scribus document. What do you think?
>>

> The problem with importing a PDF is that the text glyphs are vector graphics, so rather difficult to edit. I have done this, and even altered text somewhat, but matching the size of new text with these glyphs is tricky.
>
> Greg

That is true. So I would care for the page being "complete" prior to
export and import. You could use all the decent tools Writer offers,
like spellchecking, correcting, positioning etc. and only then export
the PDF.

When you want text-only import into a textframe in Scribus, you will
check its contents as well.

Regards
Rolf