[scribus] Scribus 1.5.4 Undo Problem and general slowness

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue May 8 20:46:36 UTC 2018

> On 8 May 2018, at 11:43, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
>
> hi craig
>
>>> i guess you have "edit > item action mode" checked.
>>>
>>> if it's the case, scribus will only undo things related to the
>>> selected item.
>>>
>>> it's checked here... and if it's not me who has checked it in the
>>> past, it's probably a bug that it's on by default (i tend to have
>>> the things i'm working on selected when i undo... i guess... so
>>> it's possible that i haven't noticed).
>>>
>>> ... it's just a guess...
>>
>> IIRC that mode activates when you select an item. So that’s normal
>> that it’s selected.
>
> what? no...
> then we would not need the option... since you cannot work with scribus
> without selecting an item...
>
> i really think that what people expect is the undo to work globally:
> undoing the latest thing they did, irrespective of the current item
> selected.
> the "item mode" (if i understand it correctly. see below) should be a
> deliberate choice of fthe user)
>
> i've tried to play a bit with the item mode and it seems to be partially
> broken.
> but i do not have yet the latest code compiled and i cannot say if the
> behavior is the same in the the current trunk.
>
> just one question: what is the  "item action mode" exactly supposed to
> do?
> i cannot find it in the official documentation.

So.. its best explained with the Action History dialog open. Basically, you can undo/redo based on a single item only, rather than the entire undo/redo stack of actions.

Note, apart from some side effect from a bug fix, we’ve not made drastic changes to undo in 1.5.4 so we should see no functionality differences.

Craig