[scribus] Load text on-the-fly from external file?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat Mar 24 13:37:25 UTC 2018

On 03/24/2018 04:28 AM, Jonas Bechtel wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 09:55:59 +0100
> JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote with subject
> "Re: [scribus] Load text on-the-fly from external file?":
>
>> Le 22/03/2018 à 08:30, ale rimoldi a écrit :
>>> syncing text with a markdown source would be wonderful, and i'm
>>> ready to discuss with other programmers, how to get his done in
>>> scribus.
>>
>> There are some reports about this :
>> https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791
>>
>> Not specifically about markdow, but markdown fits very well in this
>> proposition.
>>
>> I've also explored ideas on how it could work :
>> https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10651
>>
>> « Proposition : lets call these text frames 'sourced text frames'. »
>>
>> It explores solutions for « When to sync and how to secure workflow
>> and prevent access conflict ? »
>>
>> « this request is intended toward enabling basic cooperation
>> using some cloud storage for the file bits. »
>>
>> JLuc
>>

>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>

> Hello,
>
> I want to contribute some opinion which I also have added to https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1791 So this mail is "duplicate".
>
> - Have you heard of restructured text markup? It could be worth considering to support that. Anyway I have started a wish-list: https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=15215
>
> - One solution not mentioned in the tickets could be to create a single command-line tool + shared library which converts markdown to the Scribus XML format which then can be loaded directly into the text frame. Advantage: all the markdown utilities (RST, txt2tags, ...) out there could generate Scribus output. This could be some "advertising" for Scribus.
>
> - I suggest to consider somehow to include marks so that a Python script or the Scribus internal TOC mechanism can ask for the position of some references (or use the reference mechanism of Markdown/RST etc in some other way).

Something to consider might be to have a plugin that both imports
markdown, and exports text frame content as markdown. One of the
challenges of this is deciding on the "flavor" of markdown to use. One
gets the idea that there seems to be an obsession with projects making
their own version of it.

Greg