[scribus] ?==?utf-8?q? Setting Tabs

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Mon Jun 11 13:56:28 UTC 2018

Am Montag, 11. Juni 2018 15:24 CEST, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> schrieb:

> On 06/11/2018 07:30 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> > On 11.06.2018 11:36, Ralf Mattes wrote:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> how can I set a (right-aligned) tab exactly to the right side of a text frame?
> >> When I set the tab position to the exact width of the text frame text actually wraps arround to the next line.
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >>
> >>  Cheers, Ralf Mattes
> >>

> >> ___
> >> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> >> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> >> See also:
> >> http://wiki.scribus.net
> >> http://forums.scribus.net
> >>

> > Same here, tried on Scribus 1.5.4 with our normal LTR set-up and our
> > "default" font Charis SIL:
> >
> > All tabs set via Style Manager for "Default Paragraph Style":
> >
> > text is 180 mm wide, font-size 16 pt, three tabs at 60, 120 and 180 mm,
> > all of them right tabs:
> >

> > right tab at 180 mm fail (jumps to next line, unexpected)
> >
> > right tab at 179.999 mm fail (so not a work-around)
> >
> > right tab at 179 mm works as expected
> >
> > No time for more tests today. I will watch this space as the solution
> > will be interesting for us too.
>
> From what I can tell, it seems that, for this to work properly, the
> width of the frame needs to be in round numbers in points, i.e., no
> decimals.

Ah, thank's, good catch. To me this looks like a bug - why the need for integral size values?

> So try this as a workaround - make your frame, then switch page units to
> points, and adjust the width to a round number in points. You can either
> adjust your tab while still in points or switch back to millimeters and
> then adjust. This seems to work for me.

Yes, that works for me as well (minimally sacrificing the page layout design I need to
reproduce). But it's clumsy since the frames where auto-generated so I need to script
a solution that walks the document's text frames and adjusts their size.

> In part, I think this comes from these measurements internally in
> Scribus being converted to points. The other part, though, is not being
> able to handle decimal points properly for these tabs.

I guess I need to look at the sources ...

> The other workaround might be using full justification instead of that
> last tab, though this might be tricky.

Hmm, creative workarround :-)
But will this work with the 'use right tab and underscore' workarround for scribus' missing horizontal
lines? (that's my second usecase for right-aligned right tabs).

Thank's a lot,

 RalfD