[scribus] Setting Tabs

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Jun 11 13:24:39 UTC 2018

On 06/11/2018 07:30 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> On 11.06.2018 11:36, Ralf Mattes wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> how can I set a (right-aligned) tab exactly to the right side of a text frame?
>> When I set the tab position to the exact width of the text frame text actually wraps arround to the next line.
>> What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>  Cheers, Ralf Mattes
>>

>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>>

> Same here, tried on Scribus 1.5.4 with our normal LTR set-up and our
> "default" font Charis SIL:
>
> All tabs set via Style Manager for "Default Paragraph Style":
>
> text is 180 mm wide, font-size 16 pt, three tabs at 60, 120 and 180 mm,
> all of them right tabs:
>

> right tab at 180 mm fail (jumps to next line, unexpected)
>
> right tab at 179.999 mm fail (so not a work-around)
>
> right tab at 179 mm works as expected
>
> No time for more tests today. I will watch this space as the solution
> will be interesting for us too.

>From what I can tell, it seems that, for this to work properly, the
width of the frame needs to be in round numbers in points, i.e., no
decimals.

So try this as a workaround - make your frame, then switch page units to
points, and adjust the width to a round number in points. You can either
adjust your tab while still in points or switch back to millimeters and
then adjust. This seems to work for me.

In part, I think this comes from these measurements internally in
Scribus being converted to points. The other part, though, is not being
able to handle decimal points properly for these tabs.

The other workaround might be using full justification instead of that
last tab, though this might be tricky.

Greg

PS this is using 1.5.5svn