[scribus] ?==?utf-8?q? Does scribus use only 1 of 4 cores?

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Jul 24 20:34:03 UTC 2018

Am Dienstag, 24. Juli 2018 22:27 CEST, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> schrieb:

> On 07/24/2018 03:29 PM, Albrecht Will wrote:
> > For a lager scribus-file with a lot of ingredients I have a long waiting
> > period. One reason could be, that scribus uses only one core.
> > Is there any chance to improve it?
> >

> Hi Albrecht,
>
> What I see when I check this with KSysGuard is that in my dual-core
> machine both cores are used but sequentially (and mostly only one at a
> time), and this seems to be the way that my computer works with all
> sorts of tasks.

That's just your OS that might shift a task from one core to the next.
Unless you run with a high load that's no problem (the OS might even do this
during _low_ system load so that both cores get the same amount of work to
prevent heat differences in the CPU).

>  Even my Windows VM does this, so it may not be Scribus
> that is the source of how the cores are used.

>From my recent code browsing I'd say that the main reason for Scribus'
devastating performance break-down for even moderatly sized story texts
is the underlying data model ... :-/

Cheers, RalfD