[scribus] Scribus for phone books?

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Jul 24 18:56:06 UTC 2018

hi peter

> Sure, I might not get the same kerning support as in Scribus, but
> really, for a phone book? It's not a novel.

congratulations for the achievement!
finishing it in 3 hours is very good!

in the past i have created myself a scribus python script
for importing data from a csv file and create the printed schedule for
an event. several days and several tracks in parallel.
it has been extended by other people over the years and the result
have been pretty amazing.

again, a similar task as a phone book or a list of mp3.

my experience is, that as soon as you want to do more fancy things
(often as simple as adding ads at random places) it's worth to go for
scribus...
for an internal phone book i think that libreoffice is more than
enough... if you want to publish and "sell" a phone book you will
probably prefer scribus (even if the scribus scripting misses a few key
commands).
but for getting scribus to shine you will likely need basic python
skills. if you're going to use a general mail merger, you won't probably
see/feel much of a difference (except if you manually heavily tweak the
rersult in scribus after the import!).

ciao
a.l.e