[scribus] Scribus for phone books?
peter at nermander.se
Mon Jul 23 09:10:43 UTC 2018
> It's a matter of what you define as "desktop publishing", at least MS Word
> has excellent features for doing catalogs (I have been using them for at
> least 20-25 years), I assume the same can be done with any program that has
> support for printing custom designed address labels.
I can give an example. A couple of years ago I made a booklet with karaoke
songs using the following workflow:
1. All songs tagged with MP3 tags
2. Using a program called MP3Tag (which I also used to correct tags) I
exported the list of songs to CSV
3. Using MS Word I spent 30 minutes developing a two column template, with
page header showing the first (on the left) and the last (on the right)
initial letters. This template hade the song name in bold, followed by the
artist in regular (or vice versa for the second run) on the same line,
followed by the length of the song in italics.
4. I made two runs with Word's Mail Merge, one ordered on song names and
one ordered on performed name
5. I made the front page separately, then printed to PDF
The list is more than 3000 songs, the work in total took me maybe 3 hours,
but that included fixing some incorrect tags (for example some songs had a
Sure, I might not get the same kerning support as in Scribus, but really,
for a phone book? It's not a novel.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the scribus