[scribus] Scribus for phone books?

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Sun Jul 22 08:30:08 UTC 2018

> I don’t think there are any generic desktop publishing programs that would
> have this functionality built in, or for any other very specific need.
> Providing the tools (eg scripter) to enable whatever functionality required
> is about enabling a tool to extend a feature set.

It's a matter of what you define as "desktop publishing", at least MS Word
has excellent features for doing catalogs (I have been using them for at
least 20-25 years), I assume the same can be done with any program that has
support for printing custom designed address labels.

But a better solution might be to just use the database application and a
suitable "report generator". Then what you need to design is just the
template for the report generator. I have been doing this with MS Access
for 20-25 years too.

(My use of MS Office is at work, where I have no control of what software
is installed, privately I prefer to tro to use FOSS as much as possible.)

/Peter