[scribus] font selection and activation

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Jan 16 11:42:38 UTC 2018

On 16.01.2018 11:46, Sergio Spina wrote:
> I have TexLive installed on my systems, plus a lot of fonts from a wide
> range of producers. So I have some thousands of fonts. Scribus loads ALL OF
> THEM every time is started, and uses ALL OF THEM in every window related to
> the use of the fonts (such as the text editor). This is not useful and is a
> huge waste of resources.
>
> Maybe a possible solution is:
>
> File > Preferences > Fonts
>
> 1) add the possibility to order the font list by font name, type, subset,
> path to font file by clicking on the column header;
>
> 2) add the possibility to select many fonts at the same time by clicking
> one font > shift-click or ctrl-click another font;
>
> 3) select/deselect the font availability (first column) for the entire
> selected group, and not for the single font.
>
> Is it a good idea or not?

I am not shouting for new features a lot. But since you ask, whether
this is a good idea or not, my answer is "yes".

If you go ahead and make a formal feature-request, I believe this is
done via the bug-tracking site, then I will give it my +1.

I "only" have 1200+ fonts installed, because so far I could just get
along without a real font-manger. But indeed, for each project we only
need a handful of fonts and selecting a certain font in Scribus is a
chore sometimes.

So a little more functionality for font-activation at document-level
would probably help many users. The developers will know, what can be
done with reasonable resources.

I have started appreciating the option, where we can avoid the
loooong-scrolling in the colours, by just ticking "Display only used
colours". This freshly proposed and similar feature shows the validity
of this new idea along the lines of "less is more". For colours I
believe we can even make our own Colour Sets and save them with custom
names.

fwiw,

Martin

PS: Happy and good new year to you all; I believe this is my second post
this year, and I forgot a few minutes ago.