[scribus] captured by the skills of 1.5.4.svn

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Mon Jan 8 12:14:28 UTC 2018

We did a full size book with lots of huge line-drawings. I did the
entire beast (minus the covers, which are in colour) in one Scribus-file
and I liked it.

Yes, I had longer pauses, but only when opening the document and when
exporting to PDF but otherwise the work was smooth.

I had estimated that it was still faster and and error-free to keep
everything in one document - for our case.

We are using an online print-shop in Germany, where the upload can be
done in several ways: Either one massive PDF/X-4 or each page separate
with a certain numbering system. So depending on your needs, it might
not matter at all, if you divide your document.

But this is about your project, not ours:

So "what else could you do"? Look at your own workflow and compare the
hassle of splitting and later merging PDFs (or not!) versus a few nasty
waits (where maybe you could do other jobs, make phone calls or
whatever, depending on your job-description).

Can you share with this list, at what points you are experiencing the
waiting? ("while scribus works") Do you make the machine render all
pages afresh, every time you pop in a new picture? Might it help to use
several layers for pictures and only show picture for the chapter you
are working on? You can best figure a solution, when you pin-point more
precisely what exactly is slowing you down.

hth,

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin