[scribus] Drop Shadows

Simon Heimbach s.heimbach at explosive-software.de
Sat Feb 24 12:51:56 UTC 2018

Hi!

You could try a trick. It wouldn't work on complex texts, but for
titles and headings it could do it.

Type the desired text in Inkscape, duplicate it and use defocus and save
a copy as PDF. In the option menu, tick "Outline Fonts" and "Rasterize
filter effects".

In Scribus you can then import it via an image frame.

You might have a problem with transparency and the outlined font. So try
and experiment. In the worst case you can export an image from inkscape
and use that.

I wonder if it's possible to export a pdf from Scribus, import in in
Inkscape, add the drop shadow and then reimport the pdf in Scribus. I
might try it the next days.

Hope that helps!
Simon

Am 24.02.2018 um 08:26 schrieb Colin:
> There is also in the online manual specific instructions and some demo
> images of the results. Open the manual (F1), and look under Scribus
> Basics > Drop Shadows.
> Thanks Greg
>
> Apologies, I am using 1.4.6 - which I thought from the website was the
latest version - I will head over and see if I can get the latest one.
I am on an iMac with OS High Sierra.  I first used OvationPro on the
Acorn Platform, then Quark and then InDesign.  Now Adobe is making it so
hard to use software that we have paid huge bucks for, it is time for a
change.

> I could create a drop shadow on text, but it was not a shadow, more
another copy of the text offset below with hard edges.  I am after soft
shadows :-)

> The other thing that doesn’t seem to work is the F1 and F2 keys - they
adjust the brightness of my screen - not interactive with Scribus?

> I also have had the error Signal#6 - just by trying to select a gradient
>
> Cheers
> Colin
>

>                                     MadWolf  Design            ~#*#"¬
>                             C  o  r  p  o  r  a  t  e       I  m  a  g
 i  n  g
> Graphic Design :: Photography :: Large Format Digital Printing ::
Publishing
<applewebdata://4926A9C6-35A6-474C-9163-B43DD91340EC/www.madwolf.co.uk>
                 colin at madwolf.co.uk <mailto:colin at madwolf.co.uk>