[scribus] First Line Offset

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Feb 7 21:13:11 UTC 2018

hi  greg

> I think you're assigning too much weight to someone stating '© Gregory
> Pittman', since these days there are so many kinds of copyright, from
> 'all rights reserved' to full liberality. One of the reasons people
> sometimes label something as copyrighted is so that someone else can't
> claim rights on it.

as far as i know the default is "all right reserved".
if you put nothing or just a (c) this is what is valid.

> In the end, in this situation, we're talking about a sequence of
> freely available and open Python commands, both inside and outside of
> Scribus, so what would one expect to be able to claim rights to?

you're right, it's not about you claiming rights.

it's about other people knowing that they are entitled to modify and
further publish the scripts.

if the permission to do so is missing from the file / script you don't
know if the author will be proud of remixes showing up or will rather
be upset and get mad at you.

the internets are full of people using the nc and nd cc variants.
the times are changing but in the graphics and arts world, there is
still a (huge) majority that thinks other people should not appropriate
their work (i know, it's crazy: at the same time they give themselves
this same right to get "inspiration" from other people; one of the
best examples is the way andy warhol's works are managed: the
creative commons organization has got a cease and desist because
they were using the campbell soup cans on t-shirts!).

as you say: it does not matter that much, but if you already put a line
in there, just set it to

(c) MIT Gregory Pittman 2018

- it's short
- it's very clear what you mean
- people can mention where they took inspiration from
- they know how old a script is, and who can be asked if there are
  issues / improvements.

you don't have to do that, but it sometimes would be helpful if you
would.

ciao
a.l.e