[scribus] LaTeX Render Frame error on export in 1.5.4 macOS

John K. Parejko parejkoj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:06:28 UTC 2018

Hello,

I’m having trouble with Render frames on macOS (10.13.6). They preview ok in Scribus (1.5.4), but I cannot generate the PDF, getting an error like the following after clicking “save” on the PDF export window:

Cannot write the file:
/Users/parejkoj/lsst/temp/AAS2019/poster/Parejko-AAS2019-jointcal-poster.pdf
Failed to load an image : /var/folders/1s/x4hsw5kj4pdbnlvfw75zzkv40000gq/T/scribus_temp_render_QUKzdK.pdf

The preflight checker also claims that the render frame “Object is a placed PDF”, which I guess the output is, but that seems misleading given the goal of the render frame.

I’ve put a “Collect for output” version of the scribus project here:

https://fiddlernet.net/temp/poster.tar.gz

My only guess is that it might be related to the System Integrity Protection (SIP) introduced in macOS 10.11. I get the error whether I start by opening Scribus via the App icon, or by running `/Applications/Scribus.app/Contents/MacOS/Scribus` from a terminal.

Any suggestions on how to handle this are welcome. The error message doesn’t provide much guidance.

Thank you in advance,
John