[scribus] chain frames, "do not" link them

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Dec 17 14:19:35 UTC 2018

On 12/17/18 9:06 AM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>> Just testing if one can write/talk about chains without using the word
>> link as Owen had wondered:
>
> It might work well in English, but maybe not so well in other languages.
> For example in Swedish it will probably be harder.
>
> While we do have the words "kedja" = chain, and "länk" = link, these are
> not always used in the same way.
>
> A "kedja" consists of "länkar", but of you say that you "kedjar" something
> (as a verb) it more means to use chains to restrain something in place. So
> using the word "kedja" as a verb (as chain) might not work.
>
> On the other hand maybe we can use "koppla" (connect) instead. That would
> work in English too, you would connect frames into a chain of connected
> frames? Connect and disconnect instead on link/unlink?

Hi Peter,

I think your point is well taken. The problem I struggle with in all of these (including link, for that matter) is that link, chain, connect in a concrete sense only mean some kind of attachment of one frame to another. The idea we would like to create is that of a streaming or flowing of text from one frame to another. We might even consider it something like the term "pipe", a passing on of material from one frame to the next.

Greg