[scribus] Cannot run the Fedora 29 version or the AppImage

Doug Hutcheson owlbrudder at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:48:16 UTC 2018

Folks, I have just upgraded to Fedora 29 from 28 and still have a few
issues like this to fix. Under F28, Scribus from the Fedora repository
worked and the 1.5.4 version I compiled worked fine also. Now I cannot
get anything to work.

*Executing 'Scribus' (the F29 version) from the command line results in
the following message:
"scribus: error while loading shared libraries: libpodofo.so.0.9.5:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
This message is correct, as my system now has only libpodofo.so.0.9.6.

*Executing './scribus-1.5.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage' results in the
following message:
"./scribus-1.5.4-linux-x86_64.AppImage: symbol lookup error:
/lib64/libfontconfig.so.1: undefined symbol: FT_Done_MM_Var"
I have no further information to offer on this.

*Attempting to build Scribus 1.5.4 results in the following error
message:
"CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:616 (find_package):
  By not providing "FindQt5Core.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this
project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by
"Qt5Core", but
  CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "Qt5Core"
  (requested version 5.5.0) with any of the following names:

    Qt5CoreConfig.cmake
    qt5core-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "Qt5Core" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "Qt5Core_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "Qt5Core" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it
has
  been installed.

See also "/home/doug/Downloads/Scribus/scribus-
1.5.4/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log"."

I'm not sure where to start with the build issue.

My preference would be to build 1.5.4 on my machine, so perhaps any
help could be focused there.

Thanks in advance, Doug.