[scribus] how to download scribus

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sat Aug 25 15:35:05 UTC 2018

On 08/25/2018 05:00 AM, scribus-request at lists.scribus.net wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 11:05:59 -0400
> From: Jeanne Hammett <jnhammett at md.metrocast.net>
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: [scribus] how to download scribus
>
> Hello, I am wondering how to download scribus. I have used indesign in
> the past, and have a very old version of it that no longer works on
> windows 10, back when you bought the disks. I volunteer for a few
> organizations and design 2 or 3 postcards and flyers a year for various
> events. I cannot afford to subscribe to adobe.
>
> I've read about scribus, but cannot figure out how to download it.
>
> Would appreciate any help with this.
>
> thanks, Jeanne Hammett
>

> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:45:16 +0000
> From: Sveinn ? Felli <sv1 at fellsnet.is>
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] how to download scribus
>
> And if you're wondering which version to download:
>
> For Windows 10 (presumably 64-bit ?) you have the stable version at
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus/1.4.7/scribus-1.4.7-windows-x64.exe/download>
> and the development version at
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/scribus/files/scribus-devel/1.5.4/scribus-1.5.4-windows-x64.exe/download>.
>

> Best regards,
> Sveinn ? Felli

Stable vs development versions

I've used Scribus for many years, for the past 5+ years, the development
version. Simply put, it's at least as stable than Windows itself.

Scribus and most Free/Open Source Software development are guided by
different esthetics than proprietary software, especially Adobe
products. You may find yourself comparing Scribus to your experience
with In Design. It's to be expected, but not useful for getting things
done.

Please take Scribus at its face. It's excellent for doing the kinds of
projects you describe. And if you need assistance beyond on-line
resources, the Scribus community awaits. It's a real _community_, not a
marketing program.

Carl