[scribus] feedback needed: snap to items

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Tue Apr 3 17:33:29 UTC 2018

Le 03/04/2018 à 13:50, ale rimoldi a écrit :
>> My experience is quite different than yours :
>> i allways have snap to item enabled.

> i still cannot think of a document where this is a nice thing to have.
 > can you share a screenshot of a page where you think it's THE way to go?

AMOF, The only guides i use are the page margins. I never create guides.

My pages are generaly simple :
1) title + subtitle + introduction 1 column frame
2) 2 column frames for text
3) some image frames and their legend text frames

For such simple layouts, I never need more guides than the existing margins,
but i regularly need to be able to place items aligned to other items,
like a legend frames to its image frame or other such basic situations.
Snapy items makes it a pleasure.
Creating a guide would be overkill just to align 2 objects on a single page.

And the only case i can think of when I have too many items for snap to items
is when I import a complex SVG or open a PDF.

It seems you care beginers and having a simple UI :

- to me, align to items is way more simple than create and use guides.
The only guides i use are the margins, which are guides allready.

- The align and distribute is fine for some of its features
when i have to deal with 3 or more object at the same time
(like align left or align right, even gaps or even centers)
but some other of its features are either buggy or not understandable
(for example when it refers to margins or page)
And its use requires to select all object beforehand :
more steps than a direct "move and snap" for 2 objects.

> you could also try to download and apply the patch and check if
> it improves your workflow.
> and give feedback.

I dont compile as for now
but I imagine the hindrance would be minimum
and it could be OK.

JLuc