[scribus] Accessing files across a network

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Oct 17 17:11:34 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I have seen my name on top of one or two recent mails where I was not at
ease about potential misunderstandings.

I love Scribus. I did mention crappy windows, but I try very hard not to
make demands; even admitting I do write sometimes feature requests or
proposals or personal feedback.

We never hear much about the developers and what motivates them and who
or what is setting the agenda or the road map. That is their choice and
I accept that mystery.

Yet, when I browse through certain mails, I am amazed about those people
who are still making and maintaining Scribus for us over years - at what
reward, and for what fame or glory? I might have given up.

I very much notice that Scribus has never so far, asked me for money, as
does/did the LibreOffice team or Wikipedia or Canonical. This means to
me that Scribus is a kind gift, which I want to appreciate every office day.

I have seen other projects collect money this way: "Say what you want
and put money to that." And it looks like a valid approach. But it is
not on offer for Scribus I believe. And having a rather humble budget,
we are fine.

I also notice that Scribus - and even the GUI! - keeps getting better
every year. I have written here more than once, that the new text
properties window is very helpful. And keyboard short-cuts are my main
strategy anyway, in most of my tools.

Personally, I find that if I embrace Scribus - and take most aspects as
a given, I can get more done and I can cope with the few things that
annoy me. And when I am trying to write a few humble scripts, to help us
with repetitive tasks or to have certain functionality, it only boosts
my respect for the team which is providing the entire platform.

This is another long ramble, but I want it to be clear where I am: a
thankful user (with wild ideas), mainly trying to make better documents
for our readers.

Martin