[scribus] Accessing files across a network

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Tue Oct 17 01:33:47 UTC 2017

On 10/16/17 4:54 AM, KKing wrote:
> Hi Martin/Ken
>
> <<
> Are there alternative file selectors out there, that wouldn't be too
> hard to switch to?
>   >>

> The file selector is part of the framework, and the Qt framework
> probably provides the best offering for cross platform support.

I run mostly open source software, I can't afford much of the commercial
programs any more.  But this selector is used only by Scribus in the
programs I use.  If this is the best offering for cross platform
support, wouldn't you expect more programs to use it?

> So you probably need to join Qt to help improve their file selector....
>
> If you are not developers ....  then you can always fund the development
> ... think of it as sending a wife (with really bad hair) to the
> hairdresser (quite a few times).

I'm retired, money for something like this is not available here. :-(

> Or create a whole new cross platform framework and help fund the massive
> upheaval for Scribus to migrate to it....
>
> <<
> Software should always be moving forward, making it easier for the user
> to use. In some areas, I see Scribus as sticking to 20 year old methods,
> instead of moving on to different methods for accomplishing a task.
>   >>

> Some 20 year methods are still the best approach for some users.

True.  The question that needs to be asked, is the quantity of "some
users" 10% of the user base, 35%, 80%?  If it's just 10% of the user
base, then you are holding back the other 90%.  If it's 80%, then you
have to assess if keeping with older methods will restrict the adoption
of a program by new users.

> What is easier for one user is sometimes less easier for another,
> especially if they have been doing it that way for 20 years (and it
> works for them).

Horses worked very well for a lot of people, but the automobile replaced
them.  Manual transmissions worked very well for a lot of people, but
automatics have all but replaced manual transmissions.

Just because "it" works well, doesn't mean "it" doesn't need to go.
Henry Ford almost destroyed Ford Motor Company because he didn't want to
move on from the Model T.

> Changes to different methods should be overwhelmingly viewed as easier
> and an improvement by all or the vast majority before being implemented.

But occasionally, the "vast majority" can be wrong, for a number of
different reasons.

> If not, but there is considerable support for an alternative method then
> it should be added as just that, i.e. an alternative method without
> removing pre-existing methods that other less vocal people rely on.

Totally agree here, until it becomes abundantly apparent almost no one
is using the older method.  Then the older method needs to be "retired",
in order to keep program bloat to a minimum.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6