[scribus] Accessing files across a network

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Sat Oct 14 20:15:49 UTC 2017

On 10/13/17 4:46 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> I agree with Ken, and in my own words Qt makes crappy windows on Scribus
> for Windows. I have proposed several specific improvements over the
> years, like remembering window sizes and positions.

Are there alternative file selectors out there, that wouldn't be too
hard to switch to?

> We need to be nice about it though, because Scribus itself is so useful.
> (Like loving your wife, although she has bad hair. (not mine, just an
> example))

It is, and for the docs I'm creating, page layout is the way to go.

But...

Software should always be moving forward, making it easier for the user
to use.  In some areas, I see Scribus as sticking to 20 year old
methods, instead of moving on to different methods for accomplishing a task.

> When quickly looking at the Qt website, they seem to think that their
> stuff is all the success story, but they keep a rather low profile on
> actual screen shots...
>
> When I search for the file dialogue, I get this very long page of deep
> technical stuff. And I have compassion for our developers. If you have
> to wade through all that, just to get a simple file dialogue, like shown
> at the very bottom of the page (http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qfiledialog.html)
> I cannot imagine how much work it is, to keep the entire Scribus ready
> and humming for multiple platforms.
>
> Courage you guys, we always shout for more and better, but in the end,
> all we want is to makes nices documents, however bad the pain.
>
> (I am reading a novel about Gutenberg at the moment, making type and
> literally type-setting in lead... We are suffering at a higher level
> today for sure.)
>
> Glad, that you can at least access your computer A via the network, Ken.

Thanks.  But, it's a step that should not be necessary in 2017.

It's just part of my networking issues here, and seemingly most of them
are Windows related.  I've got a couple Mac things to check later, so
we'll see.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6