[scribus] About text indenting in Scribus 1.5.(4 SVN)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Oct 3 00:20:54 UTC 2017

On 10/02/2017 02:08 PM, Giovanni Bianchessi wrote:

>>> But usign paragraph styles, I think, all the attributes yet in the text imported (bolds, italics), would be lost.
>>> Since in Scribus styles, actually, does not exists the possibility of setting a parameter as "as is, don't change".
>>>
>> Something which occurred to me is that you could use tabs (tabulators)
>> to accomplish the same thing as indentation, at least of the first line
>> of a paragraph. Tab distances are adjustable for a particular paragraph
>> style, and would not affect the text in any way.
>>
>> Greg
>>

> Actually, to by-pass the problem, I use tabs, but I really need to use indentation, since I need to differentiate the indent of the first line from the rest of the paragraph.

I did find a rather ugly workaround. What it requires is direct editing
of the SLA file.
Let's imagine that the style for these paragraphs is Default Paragraph
Style. Save the SLA after you import your text with the bold, italics
and so on still present.

If you then open the SLA file in a plain text editor, look for a tag
that starts with '<STYLE NAME="Default Paragraph Style"...'.
Read along this tag to the INDENT="0" parameter. This is the indentation
for the body of the paragraph. Change if needed.
Now look for the FIRST="0" parameter. This is the indentation for the
first line. It can be a negative number for a hanging indent, but if so,
its absolute value cannot be greater then the INDENT value. In other
words, if you want FIRST to be -20, then INDENT must be >= 20 (these
values are in points).

Now save from the text editor and reload into Scribus, and you should
see your indentations without affecting the various character styles
inside the paragraphs.

I haven't tried it, but this may also work with other styles you may
have created or imported.

Greg