[scribus] Making a Crossword Puzzle

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Oct 2 17:28:31 UTC 2017

On 10/02/2017 07:19 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> for our magazine, I am doing the layout for a crossword puzzle at the
> moment - or rather a word-grid, where the children will search certain
> key words.
>
> I have done this a few times in the past, and what works best for
> Scribus, is when I am using an array of tabs of type "Centre" because
> all our characters are of different width of course, some positions in
> our alphabet even are digraphs like GB or SH (I have hacked a font, so
> no problem in that area).
>
> ====================================
> Now I am looking for the way to seed the Scribus Style Manager Window
> for my word-grid with an entire batch of 17 new tab stops, all of type
> "Centre" and each 10,23 mm from the previous one.
> ====================================
>

> For now - and inspired by a recent mail from JLuc - I have made a
> workaround/hack:
>
> I prepared a spreadsheet and calculated all my needed positions and have
> copied and pasted my tab-lines in my mydocument.sla like this:
>
>             <Tabs Type="4" Pos="28.9984251968504" Fill=""/>
>             <Tabs Type="4" Pos="57.9968503937008" Fill=""/>
>             <Tabs Type="4" Pos="86.9952755906" Fill=""/>
>             <Tabs Type="4" Pos="115.9937007874" Fill=""/>
>             <Tabs Type="4" Pos="144.9921259843" Fill=""/>
>
> Type "4" means "centre"
>

> I believe I had seen in the past a way how to quickly seed all needed
> tab stops, if they are spaced with equal distances.
>
> Maybe I am wrong, maybe I had seen that in LibreOffice or in CorelDraw.

Hi Martin,

I think you have come up with the best, perhaps only method of doing
this. You can set the default tab positions in Preferences -- in your
case you can set the interval to 28.998425, which works since they are
then multiples. What you can't set is the type. Unfortunately, the
Tabulator part of Text Properties won't let you create tabs other than
by clicking them one by one, then adjusting parameters.

Greg