[scribus] Making a Crossword Puzzle

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Mon Oct 2 11:19:06 UTC 2017

Hi List,

for our magazine, I am doing the layout for a crossword puzzle at the
moment - or rather a word-grid, where the children will search certain
key words.

I have done this a few times in the past, and what works best for
Scribus, is when I am using an array of tabs of type "Centre" because
all our characters are of different width of course, some positions in
our alphabet even are digraphs like GB or SH (I have hacked a font, so
no problem in that area).

====================================
Now I am looking for the way to seed the Scribus Style Manager Window
for my word-grid with an entire batch of 17 new tab stops, all of type
"Centre" and each 10,23 mm from the previous one.
====================================

For now - and inspired by a recent mail from JLuc - I have made a
workaround/hack:

I prepared a spreadsheet and calculated all my needed positions and have
copied and pasted my tab-lines in my mydocument.sla like this:

            <Tabs Type="4" Pos="28.9984251968504" Fill=""/>
            <Tabs Type="4" Pos="57.9968503937008" Fill=""/>
            <Tabs Type="4" Pos="86.9952755906" Fill=""/>
            <Tabs Type="4" Pos="115.9937007874" Fill=""/>
            <Tabs Type="4" Pos="144.9921259843" Fill=""/>

Type "4" means "centre"

I believe I had seen in the past a way how to quickly seed all needed
tab stops, if they are spaced with equal distances.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe I had seen that in LibreOffice or in CorelDraw.

If it does not exist, would other users also see that as a useful new
feature? A mini dialogue to tell Scribus, similar to the very useful
new-frame dialogue:

"For this style, I would like n new tab stops, beginning at x mm and
spaced by y mm and of type z."

Greetings,

Martin

PS: Scribus is awesome for jobs like making word grids, because I have
total control over my text-frame: vertical alignment, distances from my
frame, background colour, font-size, font, line-spacing, etc. So the
grid is exactly what I want (just making the tabs was boring and
entering them manually was a risk of typos).

--
ZASKE Martin
responsable GʊGʊ