[scribus] unlinking text frames not always responding

Craig Bradney cbradney at scribus.info
Tue May 9 08:54:58 UTC 2017

Hi

> On 8 May 2017, at 10:23, ZASKE Martin <zm at revue-gugu.org> wrote:
>
>> On 05.05.2017 23:49, Craig Bradney wrote:
>> I think for me, the biggest issue her his the use of automatic text
>> frames. I know there will be code that does not deal with automatic
>> text frames that well. My suggestion would be to just create your
>> pages, then use Insert->Frame and select the right options.
>>
>> thanks Craig
>
> Hello Craig,
>
> thank you for picking up on my observation.
>
> Now I am worried: Are you saying that "automatic text frames" (as
> created via New Document dialogue-window) are
> different from text frames which I manually create via
>
>> menu > insert > Text Frame
> or via
>> Text Frame icon plus mouse-drag
>
> ?

Yes there are some very basic differences but some behaviour around unlinking and relinking might be different.

> Maybe I am making wrong assumptions? Why would certain code "not deal
> well" with automatic text-frames, unless they are different from
> "normal" text-frames?
>

> Anyway, if I wanted to use your suggestion, it would mean creating a
> blank document with 300 empty pages. And then selecting each page and
> then inserting a text frame by some clicks and then a mouse drag (with
> snap to guides) within the guides.
>
> And then linking some 294 pages manually by selecting each text,
> clicking the link-icon and then clicking the text-frame on the next page.
>
> This feels like a job which I would not even want to dump on an intern.
> It is bound to lead to clicking errors and then to miss-sized
> text-frames and to errors in the link-chain. (That would be my human
> errors, not Scribus errors of course.)

I'm not sure about guide limitation however please check the function I mentioned above. It allows you to insert frames over a range of pages, linking them etc and sizing them within page or margin boundaries. Check it out. It's fast.

>  If we
> are having such very helpful features in Scribus like creating
> multi-page blank documents with ready prepared and linked text-frames
> then we should all help to make or keep those as bugs-free as possible.

Actually I prefer to get rid of automatic text frame function but it could still be updated. No plans to yet.

The frame insert code I wrote more than likely does what you need.

Craig