[scribus] Quick route to story editor.

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Wed Mar 15 17:29:07 UTC 2017

On 15.03.2017 17:44, ale rimoldi wrote:

> On 15/03/17 17:18, Craig Bradney wrote:
>>

>>> On 15 Mar 2017, at 10:03, ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:
>>>
>>> hi john

>>> could you name him so that we can fire him?
>>
>> You raised the ticket Ale :)
>

>>> no, not eliminating.
>>> but replacing it with something that can show the formatting as tags
>>> (but no wysiwyg)
>>
>> Maybe. That's your idea...
>
> i don't think it's not only my idea...
> but i don't know who shares similar ideas...
>
> are there alternative ideas?
>
> anybody wants to make it wysiwyg?

I do like wisiwig. Why not? Is it harder to program?
Sadly, I cannot "make" anything. I am just a user.

Already I have to memorize lots of code and tags and keyboard-shortcuts,
so it would help my work, if the story editor would not come up with new
stuff.

The best editors are those which the developers actually spend hours(!)
using themselves:

- not several clicks where there is only one option anyway

- lots of self-configurable details

- full support for different mice and tablets (two or many buttons,
configurable scrolling features)

- full support for keyboard-work (especially with text editing or
formatting)

- support for regex would be nice, so that one can efficiently select
certain things (all prices in a text, except those for Brexit countries)
and format them all at once and in consistent styles

- an undo feature for the new story editor would also be lovely; we
prepare our texts externally - only do formatting in Scribus, but
accidents happen (if there is an undo for text I apologize, I have not
found it in the present story editor, sometimes I need it).

- One idea beyond a story editor: I like the fact that we can export and
import styles, muchly useful. Yet it quickly gets messy or a lot of
click-work. Some sort of styles-management might be helpful, where we
can make something like "packages" of styles+colours+fonts+others which
we can store and use for related projects later. In real life, it would
be nice to have this very flexible, like "I need packages a + d + e and
I can drop package b for this document".

If a real re-write is coming, should we have some voting or
money-collection (so we can put our money in our corner of the wish list
to prove that we mean it) or feature-discussion?

- or are our developers indeed using Scribus for their own work - and
they know what can be done and what works best?

- is there a more civilized way than us users just shouting long
wish-lists? What can we do to help or encourage the developers?

hth

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin