[scribus] Laidout

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Jun 2 16:00:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 09:19:16 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:

>Tom always gives an entertaining presentation at LGM about his new
>features in laidout. My sense of laidout is that it is eclectic, and is
>purely driven by the kinds of things that Tom wants to do, even if it's
>just for the intellectual curiosity of doing it. He's particularly
>fascinated by origami-like transformations of two dimensional to 3
>dimensional objects.

Exactly. He passed a couple of origami-like objects around the room,
as well as one of his booklets of cartoons, while demonstrating the
features of Laidout. The audience was almost all people who work in
computer science, not artists. I was the only one in the room who earns
money from writing and publishing. I was also the only one who knew
terms like 'imposition' and 'signature.' Everyone, including me, was
very impressed, especially by the fact that he wrote all the code for
Laidout all by himself.

I should repeat what you said, that Laidout 'is purely driven by the
kinds of things that Tom wants to do.' He is an artist and cartoonist,
not an author or book publisher. He wanted a tool where he could draw
his cartoons and then impose them into small booklets, all in the same
program.

Also, I should have said at the beginning that I did not bring up
Laidout here to imply that it is in a feature war with Scribus. Laidout
is a completely different animal.