[scribus] installing 1.5.3

scrib at wexfordpress.com scrib at wexfordpress.com
Wed Jul 19 16:35:56 UTC 2017

So I tried to work with the source code, loaded all the requirements
mentioned in the BUILDING instructions, but still no joy. When running
"'cmake ." I got this message:

  CMake Error at
/usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:137
(message):
  Could NOT find TIFF (missing: TIFF_LIBRARY TIFF_INCLUDE_DIR)

 So I have these questions:
 1. Since I have no need for tiff files can I eliminate this requirement
from the source package somehow?

 2. If not is there a form of Linux other than Ubuntu that will  install
this release successfully? I don't wnat to use Ubuntu because
 the display is terrible and the top bar of Scribus keeps disappearing and
reappearing.  My current computer won't take Windows 7
 (wierd bios.)

 I have tried Slackware, Kubuntu and Xubuntu. I have an oldl Debian DVD and
a mrre recent.Suse DVD but I don't want to waste another week trying to
make them work.   I certainly don't want to invest in Wndows 10  or in
another computer.

 If you made 1.5.3  work please tell me what exact OS and what package you
used. I will be very grateful. I am very old and only have a little time
left.

 John Culleton.