[scribus] Downward pointing caret

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Jan 8 16:05:23 UTC 2017

On 01/08/2017 10:28 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 1/8/17 12:00 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 20:26:16 -0700
>> Ken Springer <snowshed1 at q.com> dijo:
>>> Does anyone know of a font that has a downward pointing caret?  This,
>>>> , rotated 90˚ clockwise?
>> This diacritic is used in a number of languages, but in each case only
>> on certain letters, e.g., the great composer Dvořak. To type that
>> character you need the character that has the r and its diacritic
>> combined, i.e., once you know the Unicode number for the
>> character+diacritic you just type it as one letter. As an example, an é
>> is Unicode E9, an è is E8, and so on.
>> There also exist 'combining diacriticals' which are just the
>> diacritics, but offset so they will appear on top of the preceding
>> character. These are trickier to use because not all letters are the
>> same width, so getting the diacritic centered on the letter can take
>> some finagling.
>> At this point I should mention my favorite font Junicode because it has
>> an excellent selection of letters with all kinds of included diacritics
>> as well as a fairly complete set of combining diacriticals in case you
>> need to make up one on your own.
> Hi, John,
> Combining diacriticals is relatively easy with my Mac keyboard.  I've
> been doing that for years for many words, such as résumé.  I don't know
> all of the diacriticals, so I don't know if the keyboard allows me to
> use all of them.
> In my case, I need the downward pointing caret, also called inverted
> circumflex, caron, and another name I can't remember at the moment, to
> be a full separate character in the font.

Look for Unicode 02c7   (0x02c7)


More information about the scribus mailing list