[scribus] Downward pointing caret

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Sun Jan 8 15:28:39 UTC 2017

On 1/8/17 12:00 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Jan 2017 20:26:16 -0700
> Ken Springer <snowshed1 at q.com> dijo:
>
>> Does anyone know of a font that has a downward pointing caret?  This,
>>> , rotated 90˚ clockwise?
>
> This diacritic is used in a number of languages, but in each case only
> on certain letters, e.g., the great composer Dvořak. To type that
> character you need the character that has the r and its diacritic
> combined, i.e., once you know the Unicode number for the
> character+diacritic you just type it as one letter. As an example, an é
> is Unicode E9, an è is E8, and so on.
>
> There also exist 'combining diacriticals' which are just the
> diacritics, but offset so they will appear on top of the preceding
> character. These are trickier to use because not all letters are the
> same width, so getting the diacritic centered on the letter can take
> some finagling.
>
> At this point I should mention my favorite font Junicode because it has
> an excellent selection of letters with all kinds of included diacritics
> as well as a fairly complete set of combining diacriticals in case you
> need to make up one on your own.

Hi, John,

Combining diacriticals is relatively easy with my Mac keyboard.  I've
been doing that for years for many words, such as résumé.  I don't know
all of the diacriticals, so I don't know if the keyboard allows me to
use all of them.

In my case, I need the downward pointing caret, also called inverted
circumflex, caron, and another name I can't remember at the moment, to
be a full separate character in the font.

At least, that's what I'd like.  <G>

I'm retired, and I do some computer tutoring now and again, usually
people of the senior variety like myself, who are totally confused about
using computers.  These folks usually find the well known "Dummies"
books to be unintelligible since even those books assume knowledge that
often does not exist in these users.

MS uses that character in the Windows 10 Start Menu, and I'd like to
have that as a font character in writing about how to use the Start Menu
rather than having to insert some kind of image of it.

I could get really anal about this and get a font editor and create my
own font.  Going a little bit too far these days, although I did that 25
years or so ago because what I wanted just didn't exist as far as I
knew.  But, at the moment, I only need this for two instances.  LOL

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6