[scribus] designing instructional posters on code/programming -- lots of syntax highlighting

Andreas Vox andreas.vox at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 09:52:51 UTC 2017

Am 08.01.2017 2:03 vorm. schrieb "Gregory Pittman" <gpittman at iglou.com>:

Render frames exist, as I see it, because at the time, importing a PDF
as a vector image didn't exist, so this was the workaround. What I was
envisioning was that, rather than having something like a render frame,
which I guess we have to say creates a PDF, then rasterizes it into a
frame, why not have the same process generate a PDF that we import as a
vector as the final result? Ok, perhaps there is some expediency in
having this rasterization for review, but finally, why not favor quality
over expediency? At this stage of Scribus development, the current
results of render frames looks shabby and nonprofessional. InDesign
would be made a laughingstock if they did something like this - good
enough for hobbyists, not professionals.

Basically render frames generate a PDF via an external command and places
that into an image frame. That is why you should not rasterize PS/PDF
images on export if you use render frames.

You can edit the render frame template for LaTeX to invoke other tools on
your system. You could probably get minted to work, too, if you adapt the
template.

Render frames and PDFs placed in image frames are more efficient than
 importing PDF as Scribus objects.
For editing text in Scribus, odt Import currently works best.