[scribus] Mockups of documents produced with Scribus

Václav Šmilauer eu at doxos.eu
Fri Jan 6 14:45:33 UTC 2017

Hi everybody,

I was thinking about ways to produce beautiful (photorealistic) mockups
of a flyer produced with scribus -- like a picture which shows it folded
(and partially unfolded) on wooden table, with shadows and things like
that, also with proper glossiness of the paper. Is there some
standard/recommended way to do that? IIRC indesign folks have something
ready-made templates.

Since I am physicist doing simulations, I tried simulation of thin
membrane (paper-like), with some initial folding, using my code
https://woodem.org . The first result is like this:
https://youtu.be/HLb7UmxmMGk (it is actually only the last frame which
is relevant now -- producing realistic 3d model of somewhat deformed
paper). I thought of continuting this way, adding proper UV coordinates
to mesh nodes, which would make it possible to assign texture to the
paper -- and the texture would be, of course, rasterized PDF from
Scribus :) Then after some tuning of plane ("table") texture and
lighting and whatnot, a nice mockup would be produced.

I am interested in hearing comments -- maybe someone has done something
similar before? Perhaps Blender is able to do something like this in a
more integrated way.

Best, Vaclav