[scribus] designing instructional posters on code/programming -- lots of syntax highlighting

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jan 4 15:42:16 UTC 2017

On 01/04/2017 10:00 AM, Alec Hill wrote:
> Hello folks :)
>
> I would greatly appreciate some advice about what direction to go...
> realizing this may be a bit of a rabbit hole that might require I spend
> several hours learning various things, if it's a rabbit hole indeed I'd
> like to avoid travelling the wrong tunnels if possible...
>
> I need to design informational/instructional posters that have lots of code
> samples in which the code is properly syntax-highlighted like you'd see in
> Kate/Gedit/Vim/any IDE etc.
>
> What approach should I take for this?

Here is something I tried just now, that worked surprisingly well.
I used Kwrite, and imported a python file. In Kwrite, I have an option
to Export as HTML, which I did. I then loaded into firefox, and
"printed" as a PS file.
I could then in Scribus import the PS file, and all the syntax
highlighting was intact. Checking at high zoom, the resolution of
characters was excellent. I noted that I could have sent from firefox as
a PDF file, which should also work.

I would add that I tried importing the HTML to Scribus into a text
frame, and the highlighting was lost. If you look at the HTML file in a
text editor, you will see that the various colors used should be easily
editable with Find/Replace.

Greg