[scribus] Text flow around a frame

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Mon Jan 2 13:56:19 UTC 2017

On 1/2/17 1:32 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:
>> Gesendet: Montag, 02. Januar 2017 um 05:19 Uhr
>> Von: "Ken Springer" <snowshed1 at q.com>
>> An: scribus at lists.scribus.info
>> Betreff: [scribus] Text flow around a frame
>>
>> Scribus 1.5.1
>>
>> How do you set the distance between the frame and the text?  I found the
>> options to use frame shape, use contour line, etc., but how to set the
>> distance has eluded me.
>
> Hi Ken,
>
> Since you've found the "Shape" tab of the Properties Palette, you might want to have a look at the "Edit" button ...

Hi, Christoph,

Once again, thanks for the reply.

And to repeat for those that did not read my other message, because of
my sig, everyone may have been mislead a bit, thinking I'm using Scribus
on my Mac.  I'm using Scribus in Windows 10.  My apologies for any
misunderstanding.

This time, not working quite so well.  LOL

I had indeed checked the "Edit" button based on what I'd read in the
help file.  I had selected "Use Frame Shape".  When the Nodes dialogue
came up, that wasn't what I was expecting.  I expected to see a simple
dialogue saying something to the effect of "I want X amount of space
between the frame and the text", as word processors I've used do this.
(FYI, for the frame shape this is much simpler than moving nodes.  :-) )
  My mind connects nodes with adjusting bezier and b-spline curves, not
the corners of a frame.  My conclusion...  This can't be right.

I went back and read the Nodes section of the help file, thinking I'd
missed something.  But  this time I grabbed the frame corner, and I see
what the developers are doing/did.  But...

My frame has a fill, and the fill adjusts to the node position, rather
than staying within the dimensions of the original frame.  Result...  No
distance between the fill and the text.  And, not what I want. :-)

Am I missing something?

I also noticed that when the nodes are moved, and there's an image frame
next to the frame you are adjusting, the image frame is not
affected/moved.  That, I think, might be a good feature to have.

I was going to rant about modern User Interface programming, but have
decided not to, other than to say UI programming seems to be regressing
as time goes on.  :-(

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.11.6