[scribus] Font substitution

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Feb 21 13:25:44 UTC 2017

There was some blurb in early Scribus versions about how and why Scribus
is picky about certain fonts. Fine. It came up early, I believe right
after installation in some readme.first.

But we cannot have font-anarchy: If Scribus has accepted a font
previously (like DejaVu) and the font is not changed in a fundamental
way; then Scribus must not unilaterally refuse that font (at least not
for existing documents) later.

For our minority language, we are very limited as far as choice of fonts
goes. We spend a lot of time and effort for each new project, figuring
out the "least-bad" font. So having Scribus refuse that some time later,
when a lot of time has gone into styles and layout would make me very
upset. I am already grumpy about DejaVu and luckily do not have a lot of
documents concerned.

I hereby vote +1 for forward font-stability.

And of course I would love to hear feedback please from the developers
on what is happening and why. Font anarchy would be a reason to go away
from Scribus. That would be a sad day. And costly in several ways. But
our documents must stay available, that is why we went OpenSource in the
first place (and Linux is often a pain).

fwiw,

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin