[scribus] clipping page to non-rectangular shape after printing

Rolf-Werner Eilert rwe-sse at osnanet.de
Fri Feb 10 09:35:41 UTC 2017

Am 10.02.2017 08:38, schrieb Peter Nermander:

>> I am doing business cards which have corners clipped to a custom shape
>> copying logo printed on the paper. In practice, this is done by
>> manufacturing a physical die, printing on rectangular media, and then
>> clipping using the die (not all printing companies offer this, though, and
>> it costs money). Is this capability present in scribus? The design process
>> can be done without this, but preview would show non-rectangular page, and
>> clipping path (serving to manufacture the die) could be exported to PDF.
>>

> I cannot see that anyone has responded to this.
>
> As far as I know a PDF can only have rectangular pages, the format only
> supports a width and a height for each page. And since Scribus uses PDF as
> its primary output format, I don't this Scrivus supports irregular page
> shapes.
>
> /Peter

When I first read this, I had an idea how to realize it, but thought
that there might be people on this list who have to deal with such
things professionally and know a better way ;)

My idea was to use some kind of mask drawn with Scribus vector line tool
or by another program. The mask would be transparent where the cards
are, and colored in between them.

The mask could be placed in a layer above the cards to be able to switch
it on or off, and when you export this document to a pdf, the cutter RIP
should be able to extract the mask's curves and use them for cutting.

Would this be a solution?

Regards
Rolf