[scribus] An idea for a script (or more likely 2 scripts)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Dec 4 01:14:47 UTC 2017

On 12/03/2017 06:36 PM, xemoth at gmx.com wrote:

>> The idea on a larger scale would be to expand each of these to include a
>> number of label types. In Python, all you need is a list to plug into
>> the setHGuides and setVGuides commands, so you would select your label
>> type and the values selected accordingly.
>>
>> This isn't difficult Python scripting, though it would be
>> time-consuming, so I didn't want to proceed further without some
>> indication from the mail list that it seems to be worth doing.
>>

> Hi Greg,
>
> I know you have said you are done with this, but I did try the A4 script.
>
> "It didn't work" so I set about making it work.  In the process I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't be worth the effort.
>
> Particularly when you can get pdf templates, see https://uk.onlinelabels.com/EU30007.htm (templates) for example.

Both scripts work here. One thing that maybe needed explaining was that
the first line of each script is #!/usr/bin/env python, the last is
sys.exit(1). The two lines beginning with scribus.messageBox... should
be all one long line.

If there were some benefit of this script method, it would be that you
can easily create a frame that fills the space inside guides by using
the Shift-click method of creating frames.

Again though, if no one sees any personal benefit from something like
this, it's not work doing. It's not like one person would have to enter
all the guides data for all possible templates. The script might be put
on a wiki page, where people add the data for their own favorite
template. The Autoquote script started out just for English quotes, but
gradually expanded to many different language schemes.

Greg