[scribus] Common cut sizes

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Tue Sep 20 05:38:19 UTC 2016

> It looks like Scribus defaults to A4. Would A4, 2 fold be the most common
> ? Are there other sizes that are more common? If this was A4, I would
> estimate a fairly large book, around 500 pages as the respelling system I
> have, takes up a great deal of space vs the adult versions such as
> IPA(international phonetic alphabet).

Did you try to google for book formats or trim sizes?

http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/09/self-publishing-basics-how-to-pick-the-size-of-your-book/

One important point this page points out: You need to consider the size of
the paper the book will be printed on.
http://www.edsebooks.com/paper/papersize.html

If you don't coordinate the book (trim) size with the paper size you will
most likely waste a lot of paper (like trimming away half of the paper),
essentially doubling the paper cost. So while you may be able to make your
book in any format, some formats are more economical that others.

It should also be noted that in the past, the printer and the bookbinder
were two different companies. The printer printed the sheets and shipped
them to the bookbinder, who make book blocks and bound them. This is
sometimes true also today.

/Peter