[scribus] Bad text came back from the printer, but why?

FRANK POVAH frank at littlewallaby.com
Thu Oct 13 20:15:54 UTC 2016

> On 14 Oct 2016, at 12:14 AM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/13/2016 03:54 AM, Lars Behrens wrote:
>> Am Thu, 13 Oct 2016 08:28:31 +0200
>> schrieb biw wien <biw1160 at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> - The fonts are embedded
>>
>> I usually outline all fonts instead of only embedding them before
>> printing. This converts them from a font to a drawing object on my
>> machine.
>>
>> That way one can be sure to eliminate font interpretation problems on
>> different pcs/operating systems.
>>
>> Of course the resulting pdf is only for printing/displaying purposes,
>> as there is no more searchable text in it.
>>

> Most likely, the answer would have been to outline the fonts. I think
> this also illustrates the importance of being involved in the middle of
> the process. A good thing to do here would have been to request to see a
> proof before the final printing. Alternatively, you might have given
> them a printout from your computer showing how you expected the font and
> layout to appear. This way you would be able after the fact to say,
> "Look at the difference between what I expected this to look like and
> what you gave me."
>
> Greg

If you - or your program - can’t competently produce a press-ready document, it’s not the printer’s fault - it’s yours, and you can’t expect the printer to fix your errors or unravel the mistakes caused by your incompetence.

Following the many conversations on these postings has been enlightening. Everyone seems to be excited about the whizkiddery of playing around with a typographical program, but no-one seems to be in the least bit concerned about the effect of incompetence and experimentation on their clients and the people who have to transfer their work to the printed page.

No wonder the industry I have worked in and loved for more than 60 years is in trouble!

Frank