[scribus] Strange: Printer prints low-res fonts alongside with graphics

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Nov 23 14:24:04 UTC 2016

On 11/23/2016 06:33 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
> My OS is Linux. And I printed from a PDF, however not with AR but a
> simpler one. Will try AR later, there is an old version on my computer
> which I use whenever the other readers fail.
>
> However, I'm not quite sure that this is the reason.
>
> There are graphics on one page of the document, no graphics on the other
> page (but only colored headers and boxes filled with a background
> color). The fonts on the page with graphics look worse than those on the
> other. I guess this is not a matter of the PDF reader, but either a
> matter of Scribus making the PDF or a matter of printer options. My bet
> is printer, because the same document printed on one of the other
> non-color printers will look normally.
>
> The same seems to happen in case of black-and-white printing: When a
> graphic (picture, foto) appears on the page, the fonts on the same page
> are printed "unsharp".
>
> This happens on this printer only, it's the only color printer we have.
> The PPD offers a number of settings, and my hope was to find someone who
> could tell me "try this, then this" from own experience :)

This surely must be the printer driver. What you can do to try to verify
this is crank up the zoom in your PDF reader as high as it will go and
see what the resolution looks like. Chances are, it will be fine. If
it's not, then the problem is font-rendering, so you might try
converting glyphs to outlines, and again check this resolution in your
PDF reader.

I can't print from Scribus in Fedora without using an alternative
printer command. It's been this way for many Fedora versions, and
probably is some issue with Scribus, since no other program I have has
such an issue.

Greg