[scribus] Bullets and numbering

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Mon Mar 21 20:44:33 UTC 2016

On 3/21/16 1:17 PM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>> Let's say you are an auto mechanic, and you've got an engine to
>> disassemble.  Basic tool is the combination wrench.  Slow, tedious, but
>> gets the job done.  A better tool would be a ratchet and socket together
>> with the combination wrench.  Even better, an air ratchet.
>>
>> If you want to be efficient, and get the job done as quickly as you can,
>> the best tool(s) for the job above is the air ratchet w/ combination wrench.
>>

> One important point here. If you are NOT a professional auto mechanic and
> you've got an engine to disassemble, an air ratchet might not be the best
> tool because you may need education to use it correctly.

It's the education about the engine that's important, in this case.
Learning to use the air ratchet is more akin to learning to use a mouse.

> The tools of the professionals are sometimes not suitable for amateurs,
> because they have to many options and it's far to easy to make errors
> screwing up everything.

True.  In the case of software, you have to work with the belief that
the features provided work correctly and as intended.  So, when a
feature doesn't work, how do you learn if you've done something wrong?

As for making errors, here's an interesting question for you.  What do
you think of the complexity of disassembly a Pratt and Whitney R-4360
radial engine?  8 of these engines powered Howard Hughes' Spruce Goose.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1468&bih=1032&q=pratt+and+whitney+r4360&oq=pratt+and+Whitney+R4&gs_l=img.1.0.0i30j0i24.694.8672.0.15115.26.14.3.9.9.0.86.1024.14.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.26.1084.8-HZesaq-a4

Or, building the (arguably) largest steam locomotive in the world?  Big
Boy by Alco for the Union Pacific.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR5dEc5VeNw  This video is 2 parts and
you may wish to watch a shorter video about the engine.

One thing to note, neither of the above examples of complexity had
computers available to help them design the product.  They had adding
machines and slide rules.

I wonder how many of our whiz kids today could do what those engineers
did.    <G>

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5