[scribus] Bullets and numbering

Ken Springer snowshed1 at q.com
Mon Mar 21 20:23:48 UTC 2016

On 3/21/16 10:57 AM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 03/21/2016 10:56 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
>>
>> In Scribus, to see a font size change, highlight the text, find and
>> select existing size and type in a new size, press return or tab if you
>> are in the properties window.  Font changes.  If you don't like the
>> results, repeat steps.
>>

> Here is an example where you might learn something. You highlight the
> advantage of making and using paragraph or character styles, or perhaps
> highlight the disadvantage of not using them.

If you knew me in real life, you'd know I do that all the effing time!
  <G>  It's my favorite example of why people need to learn to use their
computer, and not just be satisfied with what they've learned up to that
point.

> Once you make and use a Paragraph style, for example, you can then edit
> the style and have wide-ranging effects once you apply it. If you don't
> like it, change the style back. Want to tweak the style? Make a copy and
> modify the copy, so you have the original and the slightly modified version.

Aware of that, and did that when I was a Word user years ago.

> I think there is a depth to Scribus you are missing. Criticizing Scribus
> will not help you learn it.

I don't think so.  Using Quark Express as a basis for you UI indicates
to me you wish to have a program the depth of QE.  It's an admirable goal.

You may have read the post where I said I used Calamus, and on Atari
systems to boot.  I hate to prick your hide, but Scribus appears to have
a long way to go to catch up to the 1998 version of Calamus.  The only
place I know for sure Scribus is ahead of Calamus would be in using
graphics file formats that didn't exist in 1998.  :-)

But not all people need that depth.  And the only way to discover that
depth is to try the software.  Which I did.

But it doesn't have to be difficult to use, as I tried to explain when
it comes to deciding on the font size you want to find/use.

Here's a quote you may find interesting, from George Bernard Shaw:

depends on the unreasonable man."

It is the last sentence that's important.

Applying that to Scribus, if no one like me criticizes the way things
are done in Scribus, you will (almost) never look for a better way of
accomplishing a particular task/goal.

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5