[scribus] Bullets and numbering

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Mar 2 16:20:40 UTC 2016

On 03/02/2016 10:39 AM, Ken Springer wrote:
> On 3/1/16 1:21 PM, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> On 03/01/2016 12:50 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
>>> Scribus 1.4.6
>>>
>>> Can it do bullets and numbering?  Searching Help doesn't seem to come up
>>> with anything.
>>>

>> https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus_Video_Tutorials#Creating_bullet_lists
>>

>> I presume you mean numbering as in a list, as opposed to page numbering.
>
> Correct.
>
>> This video is a bit dated, but shows the process. There might be a
>> nonvideo page on the wiki about this, but I'm not sure.
>
> The video definitely does not apply to 1.4.6 or 1.5.1.  The Help File
> for 1.5.1 says there's automatic bullets, but doesn't bother to tell you
> where to find the settings.
>
> One thing I've noticed about a lot of help files...  To access a
> feature, the file will say "Open X and select Y".  The problem is, they
> don't tell you where X is.  :-(  Extremely frustrating for the new user.
>
> I'll have to find the wiki and see if it's there.
>
> The devs have put things in the Windows menu that I would never look for
> under that menu heading.  Such as Align and Distribute.  You're aligning
> and distributing frames, not windows.

In Scribus's case, the term window refers to the fact that some kind of
new window opens up to manage some task or for the Help browser and so on.

> Also discovered that closing the program doesn't close the help window.
>  Bad manners there.

This sounds like a call for a new wiki page. AFAIK, bullets should still
be possible, but it may just be that the location and appearance of
things has changed too much to be recognizable.

I'll have to run through the video again and try to make sense out of
it. One thing I don't like about videos is that they are a linear
lock-step sort of learning, where it's hard to skip ahead to the part(s)
you need.

Greg